Celebrate the importance of cultural and natural ocean resources of the National Marine Sanctuary of American Samoa at the Tauese P.F. Sunia Ocean Center. The exhibits address the value of coral reefs, ocean ecosystems, Samoan cultural ties to coral reefs, and natural and human threats to the reefs. The center features educational exhibits and interactive learning tools to promote ocean awareness and encourage marine stewardship.
This visitor center provides a range of accessibility features for every visitor to enjoy the exhibits. Tours can be reserved in advance to assist visitors in need of sensory friendly assistance. Visit our website to learn more information specifically about wheelchair mobility, service animals, sight and hearing impaired assistance, and sensory friendly assistance.
Mobility accessibility further information:
- Service Animals Please contact our office in advance at 684-633-6500 to make this request.
- Clearly marked walkway from the main road/street, to the buildingTransportation
- Clearly marked walkway from the main road/street, to the building
- When entering the Tauese P.F. Sunia Ocean Center from outside, the double doors have handles which are pull to enter
- The reception area, sanctuary exhibit room, and main rotunda area have access to chairs which can be used for seating
- There are two stalls in each restroom; the doors to the restroom and stall doors are push to enter; each restroom has a stall that is extra spacious with side and rear grab bars
- All walkways are clear and emergency exit signs are always illuminated
- Wheelchair Accessibility
- The Tauese P.F. Sunia Ocean Center is fully accessible for visitors with mobility disabilities or in wheelchairs.
- Two clearly marked accessible parking stalls (one van accessible)
- A wheelchair friendly ramp is available from the parking lot to the building.
- Double doors are marked with braille; door handles are pull to enter.
- Bathroom doors marked with braille.
- Science on a Sphere exhibit: plays videos with audio, but not all are captioned.
- Tours of the Tauese P.F. Sunia Ocean Center may include video exhibits on the Science on a Sphere that include loud noises and changing light levels. During film showings, all the lights in the rotunda are dimmed for viewing.
- Tours may be reserved in advance with special requests to accommodate specific needs.