A comfortably quick 30-minute drive from Canberra City, perched amongst the lush greenery of country town Tharwa, resides The Barracks Espresso Bar & Eating House. Set within a working rural property, this estate encompasses the historic Lanyon Homestead and rustic outbuildings to suit any occasion, whether dropping in for scones and a cup of tea in picturesque gardens, or seeking a stunning backdrop for wedding celebrations. Taking up residence in an outbuilding, The Barracks provides a modern but colonial inspired menu full of satisfying picks, like entrees of country style pumpkin soup with brandy sour cream; while mains such as turkey breast roulade with pistachio, provolone and cranberry glaze, as well as beef sirloin with mustard and thyme jus, will satisfy any traveller’s hunger.
Accessibility informationGeneral accessibility features:
General accessibility information:
- Accessible booking options (eg online or phone or email)
- Disabled parking access
- Clear signage denoting accessibility
- Accessible payment and other interactive facilities
- Accessible toilet
- Accessibility aware and friendly staff
- Additional equipment available on request
Disabled parking access: There are approximately six disabled parking spots located near the café. However, there are an additional three accessible parks are in the public carpark in front of the Homestead. A shuttle service is available from the public carpark as the route to the Homestead is gravel and will be difficult to move across in a wheelchair. It can be accessed via an intercom near the path from the carpark to the Homestead.
The main entrance door has a lip making it difficult to access the facility and the doorway from the counter to the seating area, inside the cafe, is obstructed by a refrigerator. It is approximately 620mm wide. However, there is a second entrance with a ramp which leads into the seating area for patrons.
Accessible payment facilities: Eftpos machines are available within the homestead and café. The café counter is 880mm in height and the eftpos machine is reachable.
Accessibility aware staff: There is a direct line of site from the café entrance to the café counter and staff can identify when a customer may require assistance.
Booking: Reservations can be made via phone; although patrons generally do not require bookings to access the café. However, it is advised that visitors contact the Homestead on windy or hot days as the site may be closed due to fire risks or branches falling.
Accessible public transport nearby: No. The closest bus stops are on Pockett Ave and Knoke avenue which is 3km away from the homestead gate.Mobility accessibility features:
Mobility accessibility further information:
- Wheelchair accessible entrance
- Wheelchair accessible seating
- Level flooring throughout
- Table service or assistance available
- Sufficient clearance for wheelchairs under tables
- Wheelchair hire available
- Bathroom - accessible sink
- Bathroom - accessible soap
- Bathroom - accessible hand dryer
- Toilet - accessible grab rails
Accessible bathroom facilities:
- Easy open door: The male toilet door is easy to push, it opens inwards. However, the female door is slightly heavier to push. There is a ramp leading up to the toilets approximately 1070mm long, with the door to the toilet being 790mm wide. The circulation space is adequate for an 18inch wheelchair.
- Soap: The soap dispenser has a sensor which automatically dispenses the soap. It is 1100mm above the ground.
- Bathroom mirrors: The mirrors in the male and female bathrooms are fixed to the wall and are approximately 900mm above the ground.
- Hand dryer: Paper towel dispensers are approximately 980mm above the ground.
- Adult change facilities: Both accessible toilets contain baby changing facilities and a clothes hook behind the door. However, the hooks are 1740mm above the ground
Wheelchair hire available from the Homestead.Vision accessibility features:
Vision accessibility further information:
- Menus available online
- Sufficient lighting
Service/product descriptions available online: The menu is available online and can be accessed through the official Facebook page. There is free Wi-Fi available in the café.
Sufficient lighting: There was sufficient lighting inside the café.Hearing accessibility features:
Intellectual/Social accessibility features:
- Sufficient lighting (to enable lip reading and facial cues)
Intellectual/Social accessibility further information:
- Flexibility of the 'rules'
Flexibility of the 'rules': Staff are willing to make arrangements to accommodate customers with additional needs.