In 2012 when EAST Hotel opened its doors, Dion & Dan Bisa and their team had a vision. They wanted to offer visitors to Canberra a new, different and unexpected experience that blew away and preconceptions and redefined hospitality in the nation’s capital.
A now vibrant, emergent locale, the friendly team loves that visitors walk into the lobby of the hotel and are instantly engaged, curious and surprised. Whether staying a few nights, having a cocktail or simply enjoying dinner with friends.
Since opening the doors, EAST has grown up and become a destination for both visitors to Canberra and local Canberrans alike.
Accessibility informationGeneral accessibility features:
Mobility accessibility features:
- Accessible booking options
- Online booking options
- Assistance animal welcome
- Disabled parking access
- Accessible public transport nearby
- Accessible toilets
- Additional equipment available on request
- Wheelchair accessible rooms
- Lift access to all levels
- Shower - accessible shower
- Shower - bench or chair available
- Toilet - accessible grab rails
"These rooms are specifically designed with wider doorways (870mm) and lower bench height in the kitchen (840mm) and bathroom (780mm). The cooktops are positioned for easy access, and the showers are fitted with handrails and foldable bench seats."
The following are excerpts from Havewheelchairwilltravel.net:
"The easy access studios are spacious, bright and have plenty of room around the bed for transferring. The light switches and appliances are at a lower height, including the microwave and safe.
The bathroom has a sliding door entry, room under the sink for easy access for a wheelchair user and grab rails around the toilet and shower. The shower is a true roll-in shower with a flip down seat and hand held shower head.
The rooms are set up with a well equipped kitchen with kettle, toaster and a good range of utensils. I was really impressed with the kitchen in our apartment because although I don't want to spend a significant amount of time in it, I do find it handy to have good facilities to make breakfast and snacks.
Disabled parking is available in an undercover secure car park under the hotel. Access to the hotel is via lift."Other accessibility information:
ACTION is the public bus service in Canberra. Bus stops are located around Kingston Square, directly across from the hotel entrance on Giles Street (for travel to Woden) and on Eyre Street (for travel to the City). For detailed information, including links to Google Maps Transit Trip Planner, visit action.act.gov.au or ask the East Experience Team at Reception.
Common areas and Lifts
There is step-free access throughout the common areas, wide walkways and lift or ramp access to all levels of the hotel. There are also accessible toilet facilities that can be accessed from the common areas. Lifts have tactile buttons but are not audio enabled. Light levels are sufficiently bright or can be raised, to enable guests with low vision to discern visual information more easily and changes in level are indicated with textured flooring or contrasting surface colour.
Information, Signage and Menus
All hard copy hotel information and menus are available in large print as well as online. Signage and information is written in easy read format.
Room Accessibility features for guests
- Door lock system is a touch card, a click sound is made to indicate that door is open
- There is a visual vibrating clock system
- There are hotel rooms available away from sources of noise.
- Furniture can be moved to avoid obstruction if required
- The room service menu can be provided in large print.
- Toiletries are labelled in large print or different colours.
- There is ramp or lift access to all levels of the hotel
- Toiletries, tea and coffee sachets, milk and other consumables are placed on contrasting backgrounds to make them more visible.
- Room service and a la carte breakfast is available from the Muse
There are 8 disable car spaces on every level.